Exploring Computer Science Overview and Guidelines 2019-20
Mrs. Bell – Room 428- firstname.lastname@example.org
“First, solve the problem. Then, write the code.” John Johnson
*The grading breakdown is subject to change. You would be informed of any change and the reasoning behind it.
Class participation and work: 30%
Quizes: 10-15% (depending on how many we have)
Graded Projects: 55-60% (depending on quiz weight each term)
Unexcused Lates: If you are late to class without a pass, sit down to work as quickly and quietly as possible. Each unexcused late is recorded and brings down your Class Participation grade. As is WHS policy, 3 lates =1 cut. Being late is a distraction to the class, a hassle for the teacher, and it will make class more difficult for the late student. Generally it’s also disrespectful- please do your best to be on time!
Unexcused Absences and Cuts: You will receive a zero for any quiz that you miss and your class participation/work grade will be lowered if you miss class due to an Unexcused Absence or class CUT. If you need to talk to me about exceptional cases then do so ASAP. Do the math- zeroes hurt your grade a lot. Plus, you’ll miss out on good work and we’ll miss you- come to class!*
Excused Lates and Absences: See me outside of class time immediately upon your return to catch up on missed assignments and lessons. And, please refer to our Canvas page and call or email a classmate for homework, classwork, and other information when possible. Any previously assigned work due when you were out is due on the day you return to school.*
Other Classroom Policies:
- Extra Help/Open Classroom- You are encouraged to come to room 428 when you have questions or just need a place with good thinking air to do some work before or after school. And if you need to set a time to discuss something privately, come by and we’ll try to set that up. I will be available some block 1s from 8-8:30 AM and after school some days from 2:35-3:15 PM. Check my door/board for the schedule each week or ask or email me or just stop by and check.
- Food, Drinks, Phone/Computer Use- Cell phones will be taken to the main office if seen being used in class. Please be courteous and simply keep all phones and tablets that we are not using for class lessons/activities turned off. Also, do not surf the web, play games or the like on the computers- you are expected to be working on our course lessons/activities only during class time. No food in class. You may have drinks in class, but school rules apply. Please help keep our school and classroom clean. And, please recycle!
- Fire exit/emergency – Please adhere to the designed route and policy when we need to leave the building. Fire Alarm Exit Plan- LEFT out door and then RIGHT and down MAIN STAIR WELL and out back of school to SEAVER ST. Be quiet and move with speed!
- Leaving class- If you must go to the bathroom, sign out on the sign-out sheet and check off again when you return. Only one student is allowed out of the classroom at a time unless there is an extenuating circumstance. Try not to leave class much- you miss out and we miss you!
*Refer to the Student Handbook for other general WHS classroom rules and more on WHS Attendance Policy.
- See our “Class Contract” that we write together for other agreed behaviors that everyone is asked to commit to so that our classroom is a nice place to think, work, learn and just be.
- Enrich our classroom. You have the power to make our school and this classroom better! Be a positive force. Be respectful of all people and things. Do not get in the way of your own or others opportunities for learning and thinking and having a good day. We are all counting on you. Please. And thank you in advance!
ECS Website- CANVAS:
Go to your Canvas page and login- then go to our Exploring Computer Science class page. https://wellesley.instructure.com/
I will be posting class videos, articles, assignments/project, links, quiz dates and more on this page. You will also hand in most of your projects and quizzes electronically here. Let me know if you are having difficulty using the Canvas classroom pages.
-There are NO make-up/re-take quizzes for students whose absence from class is unexcused.
-If you are excused absent and miss a quiz, see or email me the day you return to school to schedule a makeup time to take the quiz. (As it says in the student handbook, “A student needs to meet with their teachers immediately upon his/her return to school to schedule makeup work.”). Makeups can be scheduled to start anytime between 7:35 and 2:45 on most days with enough advanced planning.
ENRICH OUR CLASSROOM- ECS 2019-20
“Everyone should learn how to code, it teaches you how to think.
” Steve Jobs
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.