|Back To School Night Video|
Bienvenidos A La Clase De Español 3
Office Hours: Thursday/Friday during Grey Block, Mondays after school by appointment
Our course goals:
- Speaking- Engage in and maintain conversations on all different topics with the goal of getting your idea across
- Reading/Listening- Understanding the main idea of readings, videos and audios and finding some of the smaller details
- Writing- Write about different topics using personal experiences and opinions and connected sentences
- Cultural Awareness- Show an understanding for the Spanish speaking world including its people, what they do and what they value
What are we studying this year?
- Unit 1- What's the purpose of a house?
- Parts of the house in the US vs in Peru
- What people in the US and Spain did in their houses during quarantine
- Homelessness in the US and in Argentina
- Unit 2- How can I make a difference in the world?
- Environmental problems facing the US and South America
- Creative environmental solutions in the world
- Unit 3- What does it mean to live a healthy life?
- Healthy and unhealthy habits in the US and in the Spanish speaking world
- Diets, exercise, school schedules and stress in the US and in the Spanish speaking world
- The role of mental health in the US and in the Spanish speaking world
- Unit 4- What is art?
- What do different people consider to be art
- Famous artists from Latin America and Spain
- Music, dance and architecture as art form
How do grades work:
- 100%- Communication (Performance Assessments- These are tasks where you actually use the language.)
- Examples could include:
- Interpretive Reading/Listening (reading an article/watching a video and answering questions)
- Interpersonal Speaking (a conversation with a small group)
- Presentational Writing/Speaking (writing an essay/making a short presentation)
- Examples could include:
- Grades- On a performance assessment students can receive one of 4 grades:
- A grade of A means you show consistent evidence of leveling up with more advanced language
- A grade of B+ means you thoroughly meet the targeted standard
- A grade of C+ means you are approaching the targeted standard
- A grade of I (incomplete) means you are showing partial ability or incomplete work and can redo the assignment at a later date
- How will we be assessed?
- You'll always get a rubric with a set of expectations. We'll go over it in class and make sure you're really prepared
- What should I bring to class?
- Remote- Your laptop and a notebook/pen
- Hybrid- Your laptop, headphones, a notebook/pen, any materials from class
- Do we actually speak Spanish the whole time?
- Yes. Our goal is to be 90% or more in Spanish. This becomes easier over time and in hybrid we will be able to do it easier.
- How do I know if I'm doing well in class?
- You're always welcome to write drafts, ask me questions, do a practice assessment or anything to get extra help. My goal is just for you to do well in this class
- What are the remote expectations in terms of behavior/attendance?
- Show up a few minutes before the Zoom call is expected to start. We will start with a question of the day and a warm up each day. You should be in a space where you can do some work and have access to the internet and a notebook to keep track of words/ideas.
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.