Analysis ACP-Overview and Policies 2022-23
Mrs. Bell- Room firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention Parents!- BTSN Notes for Parents & Guardians-2022-23.pdf
Mathematics is the door and key to the sciences. –Roger Bacon
General Topics: Sequences, General and Recursive Formulas for sequences, Financing of Loans and Annuities, Using Spreadsheets, Fallacies and Logical Reasoning, Working with Large Numbers and Scientific Notation, Estimation Applications, Business Algebra, Unit Conversions, Exponential and Logarithmic Functions and Models, Regressions from Data, Right Triangle Trigonometry, Voting methods.
Materials: You will need pencils, pens (if you like to use them), graph paper, a TI-83 graphing calculator, and a math notebook. If you are using a spiral bound notebook, you will also folders or pockets for handouts and to keep assessments in.
- Class Participation and Group Work - 5%
- Homework (Delta Math and other) and Homework quizzes- 10%
- Quizzes and Tests- 85%
*The grading breakdown is subject to change. You would be informed of any change and the reasoning behind it.
Unexcused Lates: If you are late to class without a pass, sit down to work as quickly and quietly as possible. Each unexcused late is recorded and brings down your Class Participation grade. As is WHS policy, 3 lates =1 cut. Being late is a distraction to the class, a hassle for the teacher, and it will make class more difficult for the late student. Generally it’s also disrespectful- please do your best to be on time!
Unexcused Absences and Cuts: You will receive a zero for any HW, quiz, in-class assignment or test that you miss due to an Unexcused Absence or a Cut for my class. If you need to talk to me about exceptional cases then do so ASAP. Do the math; zeros hurt your grade a lot. Plus, you’ll miss out on good mathematics- come to class! (Please refer to the Student Handbook for more on WHS Attendance Policy.)
Excused Lates and Absences: See me outside of class time immediately upon your return to catch up on missed assignments and lessons. And, please get in contact with a classmate for homework, notes, and other information when possible. Any previously assigned work is due on the day you return to school. (Please refer to the Student Handbook for more on WHS Attendance Policy.)
Other Classroom Policies:
- Extra Help/Open Classroom/MATH LAB- You are strongly encouraged to come to room 428 when you have questions or just need a place with good thinking air to do some work block 1 or after school. And if you need to set a time to discuss something privately, come by and we’ll try to set that up. I will be available some days each week from 7:45-8:30 AM and/or from 2:35-3:15/30 PM. Check with me about my extra help schedule, it varies week to week. Also use the Math Lab for support outside of class. The Math Lab schedule is posted in my room, online and on the math lab door. The Math Lab is in room 452 for all block 1s and is held in room 426, right next to our classroom during the school day. It’s a great resource, use it!
- Food, Drinks, Electronics- DO NOT USE YOUR CELL PHONES IN CLASS- TAKE A BREAK FROM THEM- IT WILL FEEL GOOD! I will have to start taking them to the house offices if you use them. They are a distraction, keep them packed away. Laptop use permitted for class work only. You may have drinks in class, but school rules apply. Please help keep our school and classroom clean.
- Fire exit/emergency – Please adhere to the designed route and policy when we need to leave the building. Fire Alarm Exit Plan- LEFT out door and then RIGHT and down MAIN STAIR WELL and out back of school to SEAVER ST. Be quiet and move with speed!
- Leaving class- If you must go to the bathroom, sign out on the sign-out sheet and check off again when you return. Only one student is allowed out of the classroom at a time unless there is an extenuating circumstance. Try not to leave class much- you miss out and we miss you!
*Refer to the Student Handbook for other general WHS classroom rules and more on WHS Attendance Policy.
- Enrich our classroom. You have the power to make our school and this classroom better! Let’s make our Analysis class fun and positive! Be a force for good. Be respectful of all people and things. Do not get in the way of your own or others opportunities for learning and thinking and having a good day. We are all counting on you. Please. And thank you in advance!
“The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas. -Linus Pauling
Go to your Canvas page and login- https://wellesley.instructure.com/ Click on Analysis.
I will post homework assignments, test and quiz dates, some Smart Board slides from class, handouts, other resources, and I will use the Discussion tab for class discussions to “big” questions.
-Test dates will be announced at least a week in advance and there will be 2-3 tests given each term. Longer quizzes will be announced 2-3 classes before the quiz but short open note or homework quizzes may be unannounced.
-There are NO make-up/re-take tests or quizzes for students whose absence from class is unexcused. However, I do encourage all students to do test/quiz corrections.
-If you are excused absent and miss a test or quiz, see or email me the day you return to school to schedule a makeup time to take the test. (As it says in the student handbook, “A student needs to meet with their teachers immediately upon his/her return to school to schedule makeup work.”) Even if we do not have class the day you return to school, see or email me the day you are out or the day you return. I will need you to make up the test/quiz within 2 school days of your return to school unless you have missed more than 1 class leading up to the assessment. Makeups can be scheduled to start anytime between 7:30 and 2:45 on most days.
Be a positive force---Accept challenges--- Believe in yourself and others
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.