Honors Geometry Overview and Policies 2022-23
Mrs. Bell – Room 428- email@example.com
“Inspiration is needed in geometry, just as much as in poetry.” -Alexander Pushkin
General Topics for 1st Semester: Properties, Definitions, and Constructions of Geometric Figures- Congruence and Similarity-- Linear and Angle Measurements-- Parallel and Perpendicular Lines—Transformations--Properties of Triangles and Polygons-- Inductive and Deductive Reasoning-- Geometric Proofs—Extensions. (Primarily chapters 1-7 in the text.)
Text: Big Ideas Learning, Geometry by Larson and Boswell, 2015. (The text is on our Canvas page by chapter, you may sign out a real book if you would like to.)
Materials: You will need pencils, pens, a scientific OR graphing calculator, a ruler, a protractor, graph paper, a highlighter, and a math notebook or binder section. (I suggest using a spiral bound notebook for HW and class notes and folders or a small binder or binder section for handouts and old quiz and tests.) Additionally, everyone must bring in 1-2 boxes of tissues by Monday September 12th. Please see me if you are concerned about getting any of the materials and we will make it work J
- Individual Class Participation/Work and Group Participation/Work– 5%
- Delta Math homework/HW quizzes and textbook homework s- 10%
- Tests, Quizzes, and Projects- 85%
*The grading breakdown is subject to change. You would be informed of any change and the reasoning behind it.
Unexcused Lates: If you are late to class without a pass, sit down to work as quickly and quietly as possible. Each unexcused late is recorded and brings down your Class Participation grade. As is WHS policy, 3 lates =1 cut. Being late is a distraction to the class, a hassle for the teacher, and it will make class more difficult for the late student. Generally it’s also disrespectful- please do your best to be on time! Unexcused Absences and Cuts: You will receive a zero for any HW, quiz, in-class assignment or test that you miss due to an Unexcused Absence or a Cut for my class. If you need to talk to me about exceptional cases then do so ASAP. Do the math- zeros hurt your grade a lot. Plus, you’ll miss out on good mathematics- come to class!
Excused Lates and Absences: When you are out, please check our Canvas Class Page and call or communicate online with a classmate for homework, notes, and other information when possible. Any previously assigned work is due on the day you return to school. You can also email me if you need to and check in with me face-to-face when you return to class about anything you missed.*
Other Classroom Policies:
- Extra Help/Open Classroom/MATH LAB- You are strongly encouraged to come to room 428 when you have questions or just need a place with good thinking air to do some work block 1 or after school. And if you need to set a time to discuss something privately, come by and we’ll try to set that up. I will be available some days each week from 7:45-8:30 AM and/or from 2:35-3:15/30 PM. Check with me about my extra help schedule, it varies week to week. Also use the Math Lab for support outside of class. The Math Lab schedule is posted in my room, online and on the math lab door. The Math Lab is in room 452 for all block 1s and is held in room 426, right next to our classroom during the school day. It’s a great resource, use it!
- Food, Drinks, Electronics- DO NOT USE YOUR CELL PHONES IN CLASS- TAKE A BREAK FROM THEM- IT WILL FEEL GOOD! I will have to start taking them to the house offices if you use them. They are a distraction, keep them packed away. Laptop use permitted for class work only. You may have drinks in class, but school rules apply. Please help keep our school and classroom clean.
- Fire exit/emergency – Please adhere to the designed route and policy when we need to leave the building. Fire Alarm Exit Plan- LEFT out door and then RIGHT and down MAIN STAIR WELL and out back of school to SEAVER ST. Be quiet and move with speed!
- Leaving class- If you must go to the bathroom, sign out on the sign-out sheet and check off again when you return. Only one student is allowed out of the classroom at a time unless there is an extenuating circumstance. Try not to leave class much- you miss out and we miss you!
*Refer to the Student Handbook for other general WHS classroom rules and more on WHS Attendance Policy.
- Enrich our classroom. You have the power to make our school and this classroom better! Let’s make our geometry class fun and positive! Be a force for good. Be respectful of all people and things. Do not get in the way of your own or others opportunities for learning and thinking and having a good day. We are all counting on you. Please. And thank you in advance!
Our Geometry Class Website- CANVAS:
Go to your Canvas page and login- https://wellesley.instructure.com/ Click on Geometry.
On this website I am going to post links for you to go to for readings, practice or review notes. I will post quiz and test dates and homework calendars. I will post some Smart Board slides from class if it seems necessary for review. And I will periodically use the Discussion tab on the Geometry page to post weekly or monthly “Overarching Questions” that you would each post a response to. Click on the Honors Geometry page to find the material specific to your class.
Score < 75% Test and Quiz Correction Policy (1st semester only and this is not an option for open note or homework quizzes.)
-Test/Quiz corrections are to be done outside of class without my help. You earn points back by coming into 428 during extra help hours, sitting with me and explaining and reviewing your correction work. You must bring in test/quiz corrections before the day of the next test if you want to earn points back. And be sure that you have about 20-30 minutes of time in case there are other students in extra help. You have the chance to earn back at most 1/2 of the points that you lost with a maximum final score of 75%. (Ex. A perfect score on the corrections would bring a score of 50 to a 75, or a score of 70 to a 75.) Again, you must find an extra help time to bring in the correction work before the next test to get the extra points. If you do score below a 75%, do not pass up this opportunity for learning and a grade boost!
-All students should do test/quiz corrections- invest in your learning. You don’t want to let the mistakes and misunderstandings of yesterday get in your way of learning today! And if you scored above a 75% you are certainly welcome to come in and go over your corrections with me. There would be no extra grade points awarded, but you can think of it as earning “brain points.”
Other Test/Quiz Notes
-Test dates will be announced at least a week in advance and there will be 2-3 tests given each term. Longer quizzes will be announced at least 2-3 classes before the quiz but short, open note or homewok quizzes may be unannounced.
-There are NO make-up/re-take tests or quizzes for students whose absence from class is unexcused. However, I do encourage all students to do test/quiz corrections.
-If you are excused absent and miss a test or quiz, see or email me the day you return to school to schedule a makeup time to take the test. (As it says in the student handbook, “A student needs to meet with their teachers immediately upon his/her return to school to schedule makeup work.”) Even if we do not have class the day you return to school, see or email me the day you are out or the day you return. I will need you to make up the test/quiz within 2 school days of your return to school unless you have missed more than 1 class leading up to the assessment. Makeups can be scheduled to start anytime between 7:30 and 2:45 on most days.
“Accumulate learning by study, understand what you learn by question.”
-Ming jiao, Jiufeng
Geometry 2022-23 Appreciate a challenge- Ask why- Be convinced and convincing!
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.